small body aware logoLetters of Body Aware Massage Logo


Massage Therapy Insurance Coverage

decorative border

Update: We are currently scheduling new clients 4-6 weeks out. In the meantime, please verify that massage is covered on your plan and fill out our waitlist form.

  • Is Massage Therapy (97124) or Manual Therapy (97140) covered under my plan?
  • Is it covered with an LMT?
  • Do I need a referral or pre-authorization?
  • Will massage or manual therapy apply to my deductible?
  • What is the copay?

Thank you! 


Waiting List

decorative border
Selected Value: 0
Choose a number 1-10, with 1 lowest and 10 highest

We are currently in network with the following insurance plans:

  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • PacificSource
  • Providence
  • Atena
  • Auto Accident Insurance (MVA)
  • First Choice Health

* We are no longer accepting Kasier/CHP, Cigna, ASH, HealthNet or United Health. 

To verify if your plan covers massage, you can submit your insurance information by filling out the form at the bottom of this page. Please read through the FAQ below before submitting your request.

Insurance Type Therapist In Network
Regence Blue Cross Blue ShiedAradia
Pacific SourceAradia
First Choice HealthAradia
Auto Accident Personal Injury Protection (MVA)Aradia, Zoe, Harmony

Questions About Insurance

decorative border
How do I know if my plan covers massage?
Each health plan is unique. In order to confirm if your health insurance plan covers massage, it is always a good idea to call your insurance company directly. If you would like us to check on your behalf, please fill out the request form at the bottom of this page.  In the event your massage is not reimbursed under your plan, you will be billed directly for our services. 
What questions do I ask when calling my insurance company?
Is Massage Therapy (97124) or Manual Therapy (97140) covered under my plan?
Is it covered with an LMT?
Do I need a referral or pre-authorization?
Will massage or manual therapy apply to my deductible ?
What is the copay ?
If I was injured in an auto accident and would like to receive medical massage, how does that work?
Before coming to see us for an auto accident-related injury, you will need first to see your primary care provider, an urgent care provider, or a chiropractor to be assessed for any severe conditions. Ask your provider if massage treatment is recommended and if so, ask for a referral. Bring this referral with you to your first visit.

Once established, we will bill for our services directly to your auto accident policy, and in certain circumstances, we can hold our bills until your case has settled. We will send you a complete MVA packet before your first visit. We work to get our clients feeling better after a car accident and will always be transparent with our billing, so there won't be any surprises after your case is settled.

Remember that it is your right to choose the massage practitioner you want to work with, regardless of which clinic you received your referral. We have a referral list here for practitioners we have worked with and recommend.
What service should I schedule if I'm billing insurance?
Medical Massage and Manual Therapy are the services covered by insurance and are focused on pain and injury complaints. These claims include writing and submitting chart notes to your insurance and coordinating with other health care practitioners as needed.

At Body Aware, we are committed to providing transparent and fair pricing to our clients. We work to educate our clients on navigating the insurance system to improve treatment outcomes and minimize insurance denials.

We bill $125 for 60 minutes treatment and an $60 for your intital visit and assesment. Our rates reflect the additional administrative time and expenses involved in medical-massage.
What is a deductible?
Your deductible is the amount of money you have to pay for your health care before your health insurance plan will start to pay for medical services. In other words, your health insurance plan “kicks in” only after you’ve paid the amount of your deductible out of your own pocket.

For example: Your health plan has a deductible of $100. That means that you need to spend $100 of your own money on health care before your health insurance plan will start to pay for things. Some types of visits do not apply to your deductible, like office visits with your PCP. Our services will apply to your deductible on some plans and not others, so it is important to ask.

If our services are applied to your deductible you will be billed at the reimbursement rate we have contracted with your insurance company. This is different for each insurance company. It is usually between $80-$100 per session. 
What is a copay vs coinsurance?
Generally, copays are a fixed amount and coinsurance is a percentage of the total cost of the service. Copays can be taken at the time of service but coinsurance will be billed after payment is received from your insurance company.
How long will it take for me to get a bill for my deductible or copays??
We send our insurance billing to an outside billing company, Efficient Medical Billing Services located here in Portland. This bill will list our business name but the return address will be our billing company.  This bill is not from a collection agency, it is from us. It make take up to 6 weeks before you receive a bill. You will receive a bill from EMBS and an email from us. 
small body aware logo
Body Aware Massage all rights reserved 2019